You know, it’s not like it’s anyone’s fault but my own. I keep starting scarves, hoping that this time I’ll be able to knit fast enough to finish before my interest does.
I apologize for not letting anyone else in on this, but I’ve been on “Blog Restriction” – I didn’t allow myself to write anything here until I finished Willoughby, and got my act together a bit in regards to the atrocious state of my house. Well, yesterday my lovely husband looked under our bed to find some missing socks, and was shocked to find socks, shoes, toys, and a LOT of dust. So I offered to clean our room (even under the bed) if he’d do Max’s (not as much dust, but way more toys). We finished in no time, and I was inspired to do the same (finish, not dust) with Willoughby.
This morning Max, as is his habit on days that I don’t need to be awake, got up at 5:30 and quite refused to go back to sleep. I got up with him, fixed him a cup of milk and a plate of sliced bananas and myself a cup of coffee, and we settled on to the couch to watch some Disney. After a while, I got up (feeling a bit guilty about the still messy state of the house) to wash the dishes from last night’s coffee/snack binge. When I returned to the living room a few minutes later, Max was nowhere to be found! I peeked into his room – no Max. I looked behind the couch and rocking chair – no Max. I looked into our bedroom…and there I saw two heads of black hair resting on my husband’s pillow. One was snoring, the other making little “coo” noises. Apparently, I was the only problem with Max’s sleeping situation.
I quietly closed the door, and pulled out my knitting bag. At last count, I had two more pattern repeats to do, which would take me only about 40 minutes. Well, I put a movie in the DVD (Greenfingers, with Clive Owen – I highly recommend it), and commenced to knitting. At the end of the movie (which took a great deal longer than 40 minutes, I assure you), I’d finished one repeat. I knocked the second one out in no time (by turning the TV off), and I counted the little bobble-clusters on each side of the scarf, to ensure I’d made it even. I’m sure you won’t be surprised to learn that I had one more additional (I know it’s redundant, but I want to make sure you know how ticked off I was) repeat to knit.
I did it, then I counted again (I can’t begin to describe how mad I would have been if I now had one repeat too many), then finished the scarf off with the bottom border. I eventually distracted Max with lunch, and was able to weave the ends in. And now, without further ado, I give you…
Willoughby, by Jared Flood (brooklyntweed), Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light (4.5 skeins), size 9 needles
dimensions: 17″x104″ (oops, I made it a bit long!)
As it is pictured here, the scarf is folded in half because my bed is not long enough to accommodate it’s great length. It ended up being a full 34 inches longer than the directions indicated. I know that this could be because I used larger needles, or because I did 25 repeats on each side (rather than 20). But I find it odd that I still have a skein and a half of yarn left over. O well. Maybe she’ll get some mittens to go with!