Yesterday I bound off the last stitch of my “Crow’s Waltz Shawl.” I held it up to admire it and was slightly less than impressed. It was much smaller than I’d expected, even though the needles I used were larger than the pattern called for. When I got home, I wrapped it around Penny and it fit her perfectly. Great, now I have a shawl for a six month old. That’s helpful.
I decided it deserved to be blocked anyway, so this morning I soaked it and then pulled out the blocking wires my mom gave me for Christmas (thanks, Mom!). Max and I made the bed – both so I’d have a spot to pin the shawl out and so I could take pictures of it after it was stretched. Then the blocking commenced.
First, blocking wires are amazing. I know I’m not the first to mention this, but they are so great I think it bears repeating. Instead of 50-100 pins to make the points of the lace stand out straight, I only needed 10 or so. And adjusting the “pull” on each of the points required significantly less work as well. If you like to knit lace, get some blocking wires. You’ll not be disappointed.
Crow’s Waltz Shawl, knit on a variety of needles from Araucania Ranco Multi in two different colorways.
Second, even after stretching the life out of the poor little shawl, it still looked really…well, little. I pulled out my tape measure, and found that the shawl is 55″ wide, and 29″ deep. According to the pattern, it’s supposed to be 50″ by 21″. Oh… it’s supposed to be little.
I guess it turned out perfectly!