Welcome, one and all, to my 100th post! Today, I have tales to tell, some devastating, some encouraging, but all true.
First let me tell you about the sock (this would be the first of two Raven Swirl Socks). Do you remember last year when I kept hitting knots in my Jitterbug sock yarn? And when I ran out of yarn with just a few short toe rows to go on the gold Fascine Braid socks? Or, just the other day, when I broke my yarn (totally my fault, that) just as I was finishing one of the Rogue Roses socks? Well, can you believe it happened again? I had 20 toe-rows to go (that’s a convenient little poem, don’t you think?) when I hit a knot. I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll ever knit a sock out of a continuous piece of string… The silver lining in this little cloud is that I somehow, without paying any particular attention to anything more than ensuring I had a long enough tail to secure the ends, managed to stop knitting and then start again at the same place (give or take a bit) in the color repeat.
Next, and related to the story above, is that I did indeed finish the sock during lunch. I even got the ends woven in. Then, once back at the office, I found a person whose foot should (theoretically) fit said sock and asked her to try it on. Hallelujah! The design does indeed twist around the leg rather magically, even though when the sock is off the design travels straight up from toe to cuff. YAY!
So with the completion of this sock, my Christmas knitting stands at….1 scarf/shawlette and 4 socks (although only one pair) completed. I still have a long way to go, but it’s only July, and the sock above only took about three days to knit.
My final story is a combination of victory and tragedy. Helena at Clever Knits announced the August Knit-a-Long, a triangle scarf/shawl, and I decided to go for it. I’ve been looking for a project that would fit the Organic Wool I bought last year, and this seemed to be just right. The pattern calls for Aran weight, and the yarn I was planning to use is DK, which translates to a needle size adjustment.
I’ve knit a couple of swatches with this yarn already in an attempt to figure out what it wants to be, so I could see pretty easily that size 8 needles made nice, neat, pleasantly sized stitches; and I knew that I owned size 8 needles (I checked on Ravelry and found several projects where they were used). Of course, even after searching through my knitting bag, my needle case, and my wool chest, I could only find the 16″ circulars (although I did find two sets. Please don’t ask…). According to Ravelry, I’ve knit two sweaters on needles of this size, and I’m quite sure I didn’t use the needles I’d located – at least not for anything but the sleeves. So, somewhere, still buried in the yarn chest, possibly stuck in the middle of a long forgotten (and not Ravelried) project, are my long size 8 circulars. I know that the only way to find them is to go purchase another set (this is why, in my needle case, I have 4 sets of size 10, and 3 sets of 10.5 needles). But for now, I started in on the KaL, and here’s what I’ve got so far.
Springtime Bandit in O-Wool Legacy DK
According to the pattern, I have two more body repeats to go, then I get to do the edging. But I’m afraid that I won’t be happy with the length if I do it this way, not to mention I’ll still have a lot of this green yarn left over. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll find my other needles so I can figure out what to do. For now though, I’m loving this pattern so much that I might just make a couple!
I’ve had a great time with my first 100 posts, and I’m looking forward to the next couple of thousand 😉 . To anyone who comes around just to see what’s up, and to those who leave comments for me, thank you! Have a good day!